Monday 14 November 2011

Revisiting my squat programme

I wrote a previous post on goal setting. One of mine was to reach the 150kg mark on the squat for 1 rep. Currently my programme consists of the following.

  • Warm up with bodweight exercises and mobility work
  • Squats - building up to 6 sets of 3 reps - 3-4 minutes rest between sets
  • Front squats - 4 sets of 8 reps - 90 seconds between sets
The programme is really simple but still very hard work. I'm not used to taking such long rests between sets but this is necessary when lifting heavy. Not only do you need the muscles to  recover but also the central nervous system.

I did all of my sets on 127.5kg. That's 18 reps overall. You can keep the volume up by doing multiple sets.
I will do the same routine this week but I will throw in a few single reps at the end to see how far off 150 I am! Probably quite a bit off!


 Pic of Barbell Front Squats

Oli.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment